THE “ROTHENBURG” COMPANY
“Tradition and innovation” - a guiding principle that has accompanied us for almost 160 years. Founded in 1862, we are definitely a company with a history. Despite this, or perhaps precisely because of it, our systems not only correspond to the latest state of the art, but also specify it.
The combination of a family business with personality on the one hand and the latest technology on the other forms the basis for sustainable, resource-saving systems that inspire our customers.
The principle is still the same as it was 160 years ago: Be better than the others!
BECOME A ROTHENBURGER
- Remuneration above the collective agreement
- Company pension scheme
- Permanent position with an unlimited employment contract
- Payment of supplements and special bonuses
- Management of a working time account for more flexibility
- Close employee support by a permanent contact person
5. NOVEMBER 1862
Heinrich Friedrich Rothenburg opened a coppersmith workshop at Schleusberg 45 in Neumünster. Over the past 160 years, this coppersmith has developed into Rothenburg Maschinen- und Anlagenbau GmbH. Seven generations have shaped this company and our chronicle is a history of craftsmanship and industry.
The first orders were related to repairs and fire devices. Soon, the railway became one of the first big customers and Heinrich’s young wife often had to lend a hand.
The property at Grossflecken 49 (today 23) was purchased for 16,000 marks. Here the new workshop was able to meet the growing demands. The eldest son of five children, Hermann Rothenburg, was born in 1866. He completed an apprenticeship as a coppersmith in Kiel and received his venerable craftsman name “Hermann from Neumünster” in 1886.
The future of Hermann Rothenburg was the dairy industry. He built milk preheaters and coolers and similar devices. The hydroextractor was invented: The cream could be mechanically separated from the milk - the first dairies were equipped. He learned from Danish dairies that were ahead of their time and were already producing successfully in series. This is how the transition from the craftsman's workshop to the industrial company and the expansion of sales throughout Germany succeeded.
Hermann Rothenburg married Cathrine Möller, a farmer's daughter from Hohn near Rendsburg. She sold her farm for 20,000 gold marks and of course the money flowed into the company.
Son Hans was born, 1895 Hermann, followed by Kurt, Emmi and Karl.
Hans married a girl from Kiel: Hertha Doose, daughter of a master painter. They were responsible for the 4th generation.
Both sons joined the company as joint partners.
The son Hans-Hermann was born, who was the company owner until 1992. The official company name became Hermann Rothenburg OHG. The business survived the depression of the 1920s. The senior travelled a lot, had agents in many cities in Germany, even in Belgium, France and Italy in the 1930s.
The Second World War temporarily put an end to the success. Hermann was recruited as a captain, Hans continued to run the company. In April 1945 the workshop was partially destroyed, but work continued. Those were difficult times, also for the economy. East Germany could no longer be supplied. New ideas emerged when Coca Cola opened a branch in Neumünster. Hermann Rothenburg built sugar dissolvers and syrup mixers. These were sold worldwide, for example to Bangkok, Kuwait, Beirut, Baghdad and Tehran.
Hans-Hermann Rothenburg joined his parents’ company. In addition to the existing program, he engaged in the manufacture of heaters, but saw his future in the manufacture of devices. He expanded the program and built equipment for the pharmaceutical and chemical industries.
Hans-Hermann Rothenburg got married on the occasion of the company’s 100th anniversary. His young wife, Ella Rothenburg, also joined the company and took care of the financial affairs and correspondence. Hans-Hermann Rothenburg took over the company from his father and became the sole partner.
Over time, the building at Grossflecken 49 became too small. Hans-Hermann Rothenburg found new premises in Gadeland, which at that time still belonged to Segeberg, which meant less taxes and cheap building land. There was also an independent mayor who loved industrial initiatives.
The first extension was required, the second extension followed in 1977. Not only the buildings in Gadeland were expanded, but also the machine capacity.
Hans Hermann Rothenburg sold the company to Rolf Rüdiger Jessen, who at that time was already running “Müller + Jessen GmbH” for the collection of biological resources. Merging two companies under one roof is a challenge in itself. That is why Rolf Rüdiger Jessen decided to let go of his own company and merge both companies, including the staff and production program, under the name “Rothenburg GmbH”.
The production areas were running out of space and the next expansion was in preparation. Another production hall with approx. 3000m² was planned and built.
Rothenburg GmbH now had around 10,000 m² of urgently needed production space.
Rolf Rüdiger Jessen died and Alexander R. Jessen took over the company as Managing partner.